The Express Glass Official Blog
The Storm Season is Upon us - Prepare Now!
- Building Glass
- Glass Repairs
Australians have been menaced by intense storms, as long as we can remember, due to the size, shape, and location of the Australian continent, providing the perfect spawning ground for cyclones, severe thunderstorms and even supercells.
Due to climate change, Australia’s storms are likely to grow stronger and more frequent.
So, what can you do to prepare for the unexpected and minimise any impact?
- Firstly, here’s a great 3D link to what you can do around your home
- Clean the tracks of your windows and doors. If there is any dirt lodged in the corners or the sides, gently remove it using a strong non-abrasive cleaner. Pipe cleaners are good for this purpose as they won’t cause damage.
- Next, check the sealant around the edges of your windows. Some people have vinyl which also needs checking. Is it firmly in the right place with no pitting or erosion. If it is tight to the window, it's in good health. If it's loose or starting to wear away then it will need replacement because if it's worn the glass could blow-out during bad weather.
- Trim low hanging and overgrown branches that are sitting close to your property.
- Conduct a maintenance check – if your home has been exposed to storms in the last few years (or if it’s an older property) it may pay to hire a qualified tradesperson to evaluate your property and ensure everything is secure, check roofs and gutters for any loose fixtures.
- Secure loose items – If high winds or storms are forecast, secure loose items outside the home or store them away. This includes outdoor furniture and children’s toys.
- Take out home and contents insurance – in the unlikely event that your home sustains significant damage as a result of storms, flooding or bushfire activity, appropriate insurance is essential to mitigate financial loss. The same goes for car insurance.
- Register and microchip your pets – in incidences of extreme weather gates can blow open, fencing detaches and frightened pets could escape.
- Bushfires - if you live in a bushfire area, have a plan in place should you, your family or your property be at risk.
- Keep these contacts handy:
- Express Glass Emergency Glass Repairs: 24/7/365, Australia-wide: 1300 666 234
- Emergency Call Service: 000
- SES assistance in floods and storms: 132 500
- Police attendance: 131 444 (all states except Victoria)
- International incident emergency helpline: 1300 555 135 (within Australia)
- Also, you may download ‘disaster watch’ apps from Apple or Google Play stores
About Express Glass
Emergency building glass repairs and replacement 24/7/365, Australia-wide book now or call 1300 666 234.